The Experts Do Not Know My ESL Students

Posted by







_____________________________________________________________________________

I share a little of my teaching English experience. I have just graduated from a university, English pedagogy program. I have learned lots of teaching strategies. As a non English native speaker, my English is not 100% perfect. I have limited vocabulary as at campus, I and friends talked more about teaching strategies. teaching methods, classroom management, etc. but almost never talked about other varied topics. Sometimes or even quite often I make some grammatical error on my writing.

I want to share about the theory of teaching English methods or teaching English strategies and my experience in my teaching career. I finished all my lecture-class in 2012, but I postponed to finished my thesis as I really wanted to have experience in teaching English. I really wanted to apply teaching methods and teaching strategies which I have learned during the lecture. I applied to an institution and was accepted. I was an English teacher.

teaching methods, teaching strategies, classroom management,

It is like the tittle of this article. The books which was written by experts of English teaching, which I read a lot during the classes at college couldn't help me to solve lots of problem at school I was teaching at. The experts was from western country, and I was in Asia. Some books were result of research in Asian school, but it had been long ago; while I was teaching in the present time. The life has changed. The students change and need different teaching strategies.

Some theories of teaching methods are very useful, but the 'will' to always learn and to always innovate the teaching strategies, the curiosity of what are in the future is more than everything. I came up with this statement. Before I came up with this idea, I found 2 big problems at my first  teaching career. Those were lack of vocabulary, and lack experience in how to motivate and how to be students' cuonsellor. Fortunately, I read lots of psychology books. Thus, I had a little knowledge about how to handle psychological aspect of my students. But, for lacking of vocabulary, as my students wanted me to accompany them discussing and translating about lots of topics, I really wanted to respond by saying, "I just talking about education, teaching methods, teaching strategies, and about English at my college," but I didn't, took the challenge.

Then, I read lots of varied books such as biology books, geography books, sociology books, etc. I also watch some video on YouTube. Whereas, I should think about how to improve my teaching skill and need to gain more knowledge in psychology. Sometimes I come up with a question, "Why didn't I get lots of teaching training during 4-years-study at college?" But in fact, I decide how to succeed.

The problem at one of my ESL classes is some of my students learn faster than the others who always say too busy at their college. They want more challenge, while the rest don't. It is not only need knowledge about theory of teaching English. I need to know why they want it, what makes them like that; and I need to make little trial-and-error effort.

"I am thinking and learning now about teaching methods, teaching strategies, classroom management."


_____________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________________

The Real Education Updated at: 07:11

0 comments:

Post a Comment