The Way I Was Teaching English for Master Degree Students of Arts

Posted by







_____________________________________________________________________________

It was my first experience teaching master degree students in the city of students. They are students of ISI (Institut Seni Indonesia) 'Indonesian Institute of Arts'. It was the first meeting. When I saw them for the first time at the class (In the terrace of their boarding house), they seemed so familiar to me. I told them that I like literature, I like writingn poems, I like writing short story.


teaching english as a foreign language, teaching english methods, teaching english methods and approaches


We are in the same field. There are 11 students, one of them almost good in speaking, but lack of vocabulary, two other ones are able to say very short sentences, the others are very low level. I started the class by introduction of me and about what English is and how to learn it.

I use this teaching English method to give them an insight about English: what it is like, how to learn it, what the advantages of learning it, what the difficulties I found in my learning experience, etc. I saw them interested and what I told them quite made sense to them. But, I did not explain more to avoid boredom. I saw them the major map of learning languages: words - sentences - paragraph - text.

The first time language learners should master the words, then to arrange them, then to arrange the sentences into paragraph, then paragraph the sentences into texts. I explained them the word classes (Eight Parts of Speech), but only explained them what the different of those words classes one to another. Then I gave one examples, a sentence which were made up of seven word classes: A cute cat usually catches a mouse behind my house every morning and I always see it.

I explained them through that sentence. What a surprise, most of them could easily understand. Then, I explained them them three kinds of adverbs: adverb of place, adverb of time, adverb of manner. Because it is mostly used in daily activity. The next one is proposition, especially to most used and the use of "in, at, on".

It took no longer, they could understand it. Then, I continued explaining the two kind of sentences: Verbal sentence and nominal sentence. I just explained the differences of both were the use of to be in nominal sentences, do and does in the verbal sentences. I also explained them the positive form, the negative form, and the interrogative form.

I did it to make them able to practice soon. Now they can arrange sentences by themselves. Mistake is possible, but at least they can practice.

Read also Problems at my first English class in new institution



_____________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________________

The Real Education Updated at: 22:42

0 comments:

Post a Comment