Greeting Someone You Never Met Before in Formal Way

Posted by







_____________________________________________________________________________

The expressions you can use:

  • Hello.
  • Nice to meet you.
  • Nice to see you.
  • It's a pleasure to meet you.
  • How do you do?
  • Good morning.
  • Good morning Sir.
  • Good morning Madam.
  • Good afternoon.
  • Good evening.
Spoken English, English Speaking, Learn English, Learning English,

Here are the example in conversation:

Ardian: Hi, my name is Ardian.  It's nice to meet you.
Dhany:  It's a pleasure to meet you.  I'm Dhany.
Ardian: What do you do for a living, Dhany?
Dhany: I work at a restaurant. What about you?
Ardian: I work at a bank.
Dhany: Sorry, I should go now. I have an appointment.
Ardian: It's okay.
Dhany: See you later, Ardian.
Ardian: See you.

You don't need to ask the name, because most people will mention their names. But, if you meet so someone who don't mention his or her name, you need to ask him or her with this expression:

What is your name?
the response is: My name is .... (Your name)

Example:
Didit      : Excuse me!

Rendra : Yeah.
Didit     : How do you do!
Rendra : How do you do!
Didit     : Are you a student?

Rendra : Yes. Who are you? What is your name?
Didit     : Oh, sorry. I am also a student. My name is Didit.
Rendra : Ah, nice to see you, Didit.
Didit     : Nice to see you too.
Rendra : Sorry, My friend comes, I have a business with him.
Didit     : It is okay.
Rendra : See you, Didit.
Didit     : See you.

Use formal in this situations:

Working in the service industry, e.g. a restaurant, hotel, travel agent
Greeting someone older than you
At work, when speaking to your superiors
Meeting a VIP e.g. a politician
Being polite to someone you don't know very well
(BBC)


_____________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________________

The Real Education Updated at: 12:13

0 comments:

Post a Comment